Tuesday, April 2, 2013

First Impressions

As someone who frequently gives up on technology because I just can't figure it out, the topic of usability is vitally important. A website that can clearly and efficiently portray its purpose, agenda, and how to navigate around is gold for the technologically impaired. If I can figure out a website quickly, I will love it forever. If it takes me too much time to navigate a site, I will move on quickly and never look back. It is vital for a website to make a good first impression on users.

To look into this idea of first impressions, I decided to analyze search engines. Google got me right off the bat, simply because it is so simple. There is not a lot to distract you, and it is easy to search for exactly what you need.

Yahoo is also incredibly usable. It is less simplistic, but still clear. There is a lot more information, but it is organized in such a way that everything you need is easy to find.


Bing appears simple from the outside, but it is slightly trickier than the others. The homepage looks simple like google, but with more pictures like Yahoo.

But when you search for something on Bing, it tries to connect you to social information as well, but it does not organize it in a particularly efficient way. There are three columns of information that extend fairly far on the webpage.

No comments:

Post a Comment