Thursday, March 21, 2013

Forces Within The Screen

In reading the article "The Two Dimensional Field: Forces Within The Screen," I was taken aback by all the complexity behind the way a viewer perceives an image, and the way in which the producer can control those effects. All of it was very psychological (I took a psychology class my freshman year and it was not my forte to say the least) and crazy to wrap my head around.

The most salient idea in my mind was that of vectors. Vectors can be both visible and invisible, explicit and implied, superficial and emotional. They affect the way we watch something by guiding us towards what we should focus on and influencing how we feel. When I was reading this section, all I could think about were movies--namely action, thriller, adventure type movies. I personally watch maybe one thriller-type movie a year, just since my sensitive psyche is inclined to nightmares. But one movie I particularly enjoy is The Italian Job. I attached one of my favorite scenes from the movie to use as an example.


The producers of this movie use a whole variety of vectors in this scene. The music cues, the motion of the actors, the motion of the camera all influence what we watch and how we feel about it. This scene always brings me to the edge of my seat, which I'm sure is largely to do with how the creators of The Italian Job used forces within the screen to grab and hold my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment