Thursday, January 10, 2013

Mission Statement

Last semester, I was blessed with the unbelievable opportunity to spend four months of my life in Florence, Italy. I got to see, do, and experience things I had never dreamed possible. I learned more about the world, about people, and about myself than I ever imagined I would. I was blown away by languages, cultures, and lifestyles far different than my own...It was life altering to say the least! During my time abroad, I kept a blog to ensure that my family and friends stateside would be kept up to date on the ongoings of my life. Writing has always been one of my greatest passions, and to have a venue to record my various European adventures in words brought me so much joy. Although I am still unsure of how and what to pursue for work post-graduation, I know that I would love to continue to write.

Seeing as I have always been technologically impaired, creating a blog was initially a daunting task, but the more I did it, the more I began to enjoy using digital media to communicate to my loved ones at home. Since the world continues to progress towards sustainability, the paper back book is now being replaced by iPads and kindles, avid readers of the Times and the Wall Street Journal are turning to their internet browsers instead of their front porches, and printed flyers and pamphlets are superseded by Facebook events and tweets. This class will help me more fully enter the 21st century as I prepare to look for jobs as a writer. I hope that this class will continue develop my appreciation for different technologies, whether it be blogs, podcasts, websites, or other things of that nature.

I designed my blog with simplicity in mind. I am usually distracted by flashy websites, and I hoped to keep mine as basic as possible so as to not distract my reader from my entries. I chose blogger as my platform because I have become accustomed to it over the past few months, and I have a basic knowledge of how to use it.

I am very much looking forward being challenged and strengthened by this course!

No comments:

Post a Comment